August 21, 2009

Weekend Sewing Project... with frogs

The other weekend I had a burst of sewing energy and decided to make a dress for my niece. (Not the one with the birdie sling. A littler one.) So I whipped up this smocked sundress from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross.


It was the first time I tried smocking and I loved it. There was something so fun about watching the fabric shrink up! The pattern is really easy and fast to do, to. And my niece looks really cute in it! I love how versatile it is: sundress now, wear a long sleeve top under it when it gets colder, summer shirt and/or skirt next year (or more?)

The fabric is also by Heather Ross, from her Far Far Away collection. It's SO soft! I only had about a half yard of it (good thing my niece is small), but I wish I had bolts and bolts to make lots of comfy pajamas. Or just to spread out and sleep on. Ah, double gauze.


What I had left of the fabric was barely enough to make a hex flower for my English paper piecing project. As a result of being so short on scraps, my stitches around the frog hex are not very perfect. :-( I'm hoping it won't be noticeable in a finished quilt, because I really want to include this fabric and memory of my niece's dress in there.

0 comments: