November 6, 2009

As if I needed a new hobby...

I started knitting! Although I learned how to crochet years ago, I was always scared to give knitting a try. I'm not sure why it intimidated me so much. But my mom used to knit and had the idea to start again and teach me, too! So from watching her, reading various books, and looking at online videos, I'm now a knitter.


After getting the basics down, I found that I got bored really quickly doing simple rows of knitting and purling. Thus I started an Entrelac pattern scarf using gorgeous Noro yarn. The pattern is interesting enough to keep me engaged, and watching the self-striping colors change is also helping my short attention span.


Here's another "Hey, let's try something new" project. This is me learning socks on dpns while tackling colorwork. Very interesting. And I love the owls.


And here's one I actually finished! A slouchy beret. Meret, on Ravelry. Because after having an account there sitting dormant, I've gone Ravelry-crazy, queuing patterns, hearting favorites, loving the whole new craft world that's opened up to me while learning knitting. Want to keep up with what I'm doing? Find me here:
In addition to the scarf and socks you see here, I've also got another scarf for a friend and some armwarmers in progress. I'm also planning a shrug and a sweater vest. Add this on to the myriad of other sewing, photo, and other crafty projects I never quite seem to get done. Instead of doing NaNoWriMo and adding one more thing to my never-ending list, I'm joining with a friend who decided to do FiSoYoFo (as in Finish Something You Fool!) (and my friend coined that, btw, not me) (although maybe it should be FiSoYoFoMo?) in an attempt to actually complete a few projects this month. Or maybe just one. I dunno. We'll see what happens.

4 comments:

Cesia said...

Oh my goodness, whatever that top photo is is SOOOO CUTE! And owls? How awesome are they? And the beret is cute too. Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you went crazy. *le sigh* I miss cold weather. :(

On a happy note ... I got to wear a sweater AND a scarf yesterday! I was so happy. Then it was back to a t-shirt today. Meh.

Digital Misfit said...

Love all of your projects! I wish I could learn to knit, but somehow I just can't seem to grasp it.
I ADORE Entrelac knit.

Unknown said...

you just started knitting and already you are doing entrelac and color work??? I am impressed and amazed! I've been knitting for some twenty years and haven't even considered trying yet. maybe it's time:)

thank you for stopping by my blog last week for the giveaway!

Sue said...

And a good one too!!! love the diagonal crossover looking one. :O)