October 20, 2010

Doctor Who Crafting

For a while now, I've been wanting to put together a little crafty care package for the dear friend who introduced me to Doctor Who. Her favorite "character" is the TARDIS. I had the idea to piece together a TARDIS quilt, and this was the result:


In the space that usually says Police Box, I used fabric selvages. (My friend's name is Heather.)


I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to quilt it, but I took a cue from the background (crazily pieced Goodnight Monkey fabric) and did a bunch of stars in three different thread colors.


Here's a look at the stars from the back: (Plaid, since my friend also has a love for Scottish things. Like men in kilts.)


But wait, that's not all! I also made a little felt Adipose baby, complete with snaggletooth and all. "The fat just walks away!"


Actually, it flies away in a box to its destination. Along with another Tardishcloth (the third I've made, and btw I like it better in this Peaches & Creme yarn vs. the Sugar 'n Cream I used for the first two). Also included a couple buttons I found in an Etsy shop.


 Hope she loves it!

16 comments:

Holly U said...

Insanely cute. Great job!

trulymadlygeeky said...

I have no idea why you thought I would like this stuff. It's not like I sit around playing with action figures or anything.

They're going to come revoke my Certified Grown-up Card now, aren't they? Totally worth it. You know me so well! I love it all so much. It's brilliant.

Linda said...

This is great - what a wonderful gift and beautifully themed quilt! Love the colors! Thanks for that insiring share! Linda

DannyB said...

What a great Dr Who fan! Great projects... I made my daughter and Adipose for Christmas last year, too. Very well done. The quilt is fantastic! Love it.

Cesia said...

How could she NOT love it?!?!

Buttoned up and Pinned down said...

Wow! Both my daughter and I love your Tardis quilt, my little girl wants to buy it. Do you have a pattern for it? It's fab.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Buttoned up, I did not have a pattern, I just sketched out what I wanted to do for piecing the TARDIS out. It wasn't too hard since it's all straight lines. I started with doing all the little squares and connecting them like you would do with sashing on a bigger quilt. The background was made of totally random pieces that I sewed together and squared off. I don't think I could make it exactly the same if I tried.

As for selling it, I don't think my friend would part with it. This was a one-of-a-kind labor of love. :-)

Jo-anne Blossy said...

I just showed my aspie teen who LOVES Doctor Who. He thought these were great! You've done a wonderful job with them.

Beth said...

I'm a big Who fan and found you via Craftzine blog. Adorable!

gretaknits said...

SO awesome! Found you on pinterest!
This is a brilliant gift package for a Dr. Who fan!

Anonymous said...

Here from CRAFT; that is crazy awesome! Oh the things I would do for a full-sized TARDIS quilt. I may have to learn to quilt.

Ivory said...

Your friend is very lucky to you. My friends usually just pretend like they don't know me when I start going on about Dr. Who lol. You did a great job on everything they look amazing!
Do you have a pattern for the tardishcloth and the adipose baby? I'd love to make some of my own.

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

love your doctor who crafts!
just shared your post over at crafter...oo crafts forum :)

Wendymoon Designs said...

The dishcloth pattern is available on ravelry. Here's a link http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Wendymoon/tardis-dishcloth

Becca C said...

This is beautiful! Do you happen to have a pattern for this somewhere? Thanks!

Wendymoon said...

Sorry Becca, I made this up out of my own head. :-)